When you purchase a new home, there are a lot of tasks to manage. One important job is to change the locks when you buy a new house. Yes, it would be best to change the house locks when purchasing a new residential property. Why? Because you don’t know how many copies of the keys are floating around from previous owners. Handling this task will ensure your new home is secure and gives you peace of mind. The last thing you want is to be settled in your new home and have someone attempt to enter with a set of keys.
How Much Will It Cost to Change the House Locks?
The cost you can expect to pay to change your house locks will depend on several factors, including:
- The price of your desired lockset—costs can range from $40-$400, while the average cost for replacing house locks is between $100 and $200.
- The locksmith you hire for the task.
- The number of locks you need to change.
Look for an experienced local locksmith who offers fair pricing for their services. The right company will be able to provide top-quality lock hardware and re-keying services to keep your property safe from intruders.
What Type of New Lock Do You Need?
Whether you want to keep the same lock hardware style or are ready to upgrade to something new, a locksmith can offer professional recommendations to guide you. Common lock types include:
- Lever locks
- Digital keypad deadbolt
- Security bar
You may also want to consider installing a master key system to streamline entry and exit from your property. With a master key, you’ll have a key that can open all the locks in your home.
Is Hiring a Locksmith to Replace Your Home Locks Worth It?
You may wonder if you can perform the lock change yourself or if you’ll need to hire a locksmith for the job. Unless you have specific expertise in changing locks, hiring a reliable locksmith will be well worth the investment. Here are the benefits of choosing a professional for your lock change:
- It’s unlikely you have the necessary tools for the task, while locksmiths have professional-grade tools to streamline the project.
- Although some people like to go the DIY route, this often requires a lot of troubleshooting and may even lead to mistakes; get the job done right the first time with a trusted locksmith.
- Installing premium lock hardware will ensure your new locks are durable and do what they are supposed to do; a locksmith will have access to the best products to help you achieve optimal results.
Count on Georgia Lock and Door for All Your Locksmith Needs
If you need to change the locks when you buy a new house, the team at Georgia Lock and Door is here to help. Our locksmiths bring more than 15 years of experience to your project. We connect you with the best quality lock hardware and expert lock installation and re-keying services to ensure your residential property is safe and secure. Contact Georgia Lock and Door today to get a quote for changing the locks on your home.